ONE POT CREAMY CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA
2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.20)
1 tsp oregano ($0.10)
1 tsp thyme ($0.10)
1/2 tsp garlic powder ($0.05)
1/2 tsp onion powder ($0.05)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper ($0.03)
1/4 tsp black pepper ($0.02)
1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
1 Tbsp olive oil ($0.16)
1 Tbsp butter ($0.13)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast ($5.47)
1 yellow onion, diced ($0.32)
1/2 lb. penne pasta ($0.75)
15 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes ($1.00)
2 cups chicken broth ($0.26)
2 oz. cream cheese ($0.50)
3 green onions, sliced ($0.25)
- Combine the ingredients for the Cajun seasoning in a small bowl. Cut the chicken into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes. Place the cubed chicken in a bowl, pour the Cajun seasoning over top, and stir to coat the chicken in spices.
- Add the olive oil and butter to a large deep skillet. Heat the oil and butter over medium-high until the skillet is very hot and the butter is melted and foamy. Add the seasoned chicken to the skillet and cook for a couple minutes on each side, or just until the outside gets some color. The chicken does not need to be cooked through at this point.
- Add the diced yellow onion to the skillet and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes more, or just until the onion begins to soften. Allow the moisture from the onion to dissolve any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Next, add the pasta, fire roasted diced tomatoes (with the juices), and chicken broth to the skillet. Stir just until everything is evenly combined, then place a lid on top and allow the broth to come up to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and let the pasta simmer for about ten minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, until the pasta is tender and the liquid is thick and saucy.
- Add the cream cheese to the skillet in chunks, then stir until it has melted into the sauce. Top the pasta with sliced green onions and serve.